The Ministry of External Affairs on Thursday marked the first anniversary of Operation Sindoor, stating that India had delivered a “befitting reply” to Pakistan following the 2025 Pahalgam terror attack.
During a media briefing in New Delhi, MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said the international community had recognised the Pahalgam attack for what it was and reaffirmed India’s right to defend itself against terrorism.
He stated that cross border terrorism had long been used by Pakistan as an instrument of state policy and said India would continue strengthening global efforts to combat terrorism.
Jaiswal also reiterated India’s position on the Indus Waters Treaty, saying the agreement remains in abeyance due to Pakistan’s alleged support for cross border terrorism. He added that Pakistan must “credibly and irrevocably” end such support before normalcy can resume.
Operation Sindoor was launched on May 7, 2025, after the Pahalgam terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir killed 26 people. During the operation, Indian armed forces carried out strikes on terror launchpads in Pakistan and Pakistan occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
According to Indian officials, the operation targeted nine terror launchpads linked to Lashkar e Taiba, Jaish e Mohammed and Hizbul Mujahideen, with more than 100 terrorists reportedly killed.
Earlier in the day, Rajiv Ghai said the operation showcased the strength of India’s indigenous defence capabilities, adding that “Atmanirbhar is not just a slogan, it is a force multiplier.”
He said the mission achieved its objectives through a calibrated and precise response that disrupted enemy command systems without escalating into a prolonged conflict.
Ghai also stated that Operation Sindoor was “not an end” but “just the beginning” of India’s continued campaign against terrorism.





